The deeper the conversation, the more opportunities there are for growth and development. A mentoring relationship starts on one level and over time, with trust, good intention, and deeper conversation moves to another, deeper level.
Artful facilitation promotes shared learning, reflective thinking and deeper conversation.
- Mentors ask questions that engage mentees as active participants in their own learning.
- Mentors encourage self-reflection, critical thinking and ownership.
- Mentors ask that draw upon the unique thinking, experiences and learning styles of their mentees.
- Mentors demonstrate flexibility and openness to learning.
- Mentors respect different perspectives.
Listening is essential to deepening the conversation.