If your organization is preparing to launch a mentoring initiative, you may be wondering where to begin. Here are six tasks to add to your to-do list:
1. Make sure the business case for mentoring aligns with your organization’s strategic direction.
2. Develop job descriptions for your Mentoring Oversight/Advisory Team, their individual member roles and responsibilities, and the person who will manage your mentoring program.
3. Develop a policy statement outlining mentoring expectations.
4. Create a budget that covers training and resources, including a salary/stipend for the mentoring point person.
5. Develop a strategic communication plan for broadcasting mentoring messages to all stakeholders.
6. Allocate virtual space to house information and mentoring resources.