Consider the ten questions below before you ask someone to be your mentoring partner:
- Will this person challenge me to raise the bar for myself?
- Does this person have the ability to listen and a sincere desire and willingness to mentor?
- Will this person encourage me as well as provide honest feedback?
- Does this person have the knowledge and expertise I need?
- Is this person a positive role-model?
- Is there a good learning fit between what I need and what this person has to share?
- Will this person have sufficient time to mentor me?
- Is this person accessible enough (geographically or physically) for my needs?
- Are we compatible in temperament and personality?
- Will I feel comfortable learning and interacting with this person?
You should be able to answer positively to each of them!